A backpack is a significant investment that requires attention. Over time, food spills, environmental pollutants, and other mysterious stains make their way to the bag. These all invite dirt that hampers the product's operability by damaging the fabric and clogging the zippers. There are numerous reasons to keep your backpack tidy. But should you be hand washing, dry-cleaning, or the easiest, machine washing the bags?
The simplest way to go about it is going by the manufacturer's care instructions. Every manufacturer has different wash recommendations, but the general guideline when it comes to backpacks is to avoid throwing them in the washer. Aside from machine washable backpacks, putting them in the washing machine can ruin the backpack or even the machine.
Are Terra Thread backpacks machine washable?
Washing your Terra Thread backpack is not recommended as it may cause damage to the product or other items inside the washer. But if you must use the washer, make sure to wash it separately in cold water and a gentle cycle. Avoid the dryer— this can shrink the product. Dry your product in the air for at least 24 hours before use. The bag may lose its shape after the washing cycle– you can stuff clothes or other products to help gain its shape back.
That said, the guide below will quickly show you how to wash Terra Thread's backpack and how to take care of it so that it stays clean.
Ways To Care For Terra Backpack Backpacks
Empty every compartment in the bag depending on the product- the front pockets, the laptop compartments, main pockets, etc. You also want to remove any added decorations to the bag like pins and DIY elements. If you have added patches to your bag, check if they can be safely cleaned. Then, give it a good shake upside-down to get rid of any crumbs or junk hiding in the bottom of your bag. Finally, turn it inside-out and shake again.
- Keep the temperature of the water cold for cleaning the products
- Avoid bleach as it can ruin the material.
- The product must not be dry cleaned.
Now let's jump into the different ways you can clean Terra Thread bags.
- Spot Cleaning
Things you will need:
- Reusable cloth
- A bowl of cold water
Start cleaning with a reusable cloth and cold water. Keep multiple reusable clothes in case your bag is super soiled.
- Dip the cloth in cold water and gently blot the stains and dirt.
- Apply light pressure while scrubbing stains, do not rub vigorously or damage may occur.
- Rinse the spots with cold water.
- Hang to dry for 24 hours, allowing it to fully air out.
- Hand Washing
Things you will need:
- A bowl or sink with cold water that is large enough to fit the product in.
- Laundry detergent (check out Branch Basics' Laundry Kit in Glass) or delicate wash.
In case your backpack is still dirty after spot cleaning, hand-wash it for better cleaning.
- Fill a bowl or sink with cold water, making sure that it is large enough to fit the product.
- Add a small amount of laundry detergent or delicate wash liquid to the cold water and mix it up to dissipate it thoroughly.
- Add your product, or only the section that has become soiled, and lightly scrub it in the detergent water.
- Repeat this until dirt or stains have lifted and rinse with cold water.
- Hang to dry, allowing 24 hours for the product to fully air out.
There you go, it's as easy as that!
Related blog:How to Care For Terra Thread Products