Meet Patagonia's newest and only shareholder - our beautiful Earth

Patagonia's newest shareholder is Earth

Earlier this month, the founder of Patagonia, renowned for his alpine climbs in Yosemite National Park, announced the donation of the entire company to help fight climate change.

This announcement opens with "Earth is now our only shareholder" and beautifully closes with "despite its immensity, the Earth's resources are not infinite, and it's clear we've exceeded its limits. But it's also resilient. We can save our planet if we commit to it."  

In 2019, Patagonia was named the UN's Champions of the Earth. This distinction honors the brand for its innovative combination of policies that have made sustainability the foundation of its business strategy.  

According to the New York Times, Yvon Chouinard's decision to give up the family company is consistent with both his longtime love of the environment and his prolonged dislike for commercial conventions. Chouinard had a humble beginning, and that hasn't changed. In the 1960s, he ate cat food from damaged cans and lived out of his car. A billionaire who despises being called one, he has no phone or a laptop and still lives in modest residences in Jackson, Wyoming, and Ventura, California, and drives a beat-up Subaru. 

Yvon Chouinard

Image by New York Times 

The restructured Patagonia will continue to run as a private, for-profit organization but managed by new owners and not the Chouinard family. The "Patagonia Purpose Trust" and "Holdfast Collective," a nonprofit organization devoted to reversing environmental challenges and preserving the environment, will control the ownership.   

Holdfast Collective has been granted 98% of the company's non-voting stock, and the remaining 2% (all voting shares) goes to the recently established Patagonia Purpose Trust. Family members will be in charge of managing the Trust. 

Unlike other donations to humanitarian activities we hear of, the Patagonia founder's action is performed in such a way that the Chouinard family would receive no gain. Instead, the Chouinard family will pay about $18 million in taxes for the donation. 

Yvon Chouinard is an example for his fellow billionaires and the rest of the world!   

You can learn more about this recent move here:

Related blog:

Will the Inflation Reduction Act Help Fight Climate Change?

USDA Invests $2.2 Million in Risk Management Education

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Terra Thread backpacks, bags, and accessories are created for conscious consumers, corporations, and NGOs who are looking to make a positive impact on the world with their purchases. Terra Thread puts people and the planet first, every step of the way from organic farms to your arms.